castle knot garden
A competition to design a new garden for Astley Castle
Rhoda Maw was really interested in creating bespoke gardens. Therefore when she saw that The Landmark Trust wanted to create a new knot garden for the 13th century castle, this was a perfect competition to enter. This bespoke garden was to; complement the castle, reflect upon its history and celebrate its conservation in the 21st century. The new garden was to be designed by a member of the public, then planted and looked after by local volunteers.
- The design had to be:
- Contained within a space of 10m x 10m
- Evocative of the site’s history
- Low maintenance
- Designed to be viewed from above and from ground level.
- Allow people to walk around and through
- Traditional or Contemporary
Rhoda received Highly Commended for her work.